Pay What Feels Right
"Pay-What-Feels-Right” invites us to pause and reflect on the value we bring to one another, even at a distance... I feel it brings some soul back into what is otherwise simply a business transaction."(Frederic Laloux).
You can purchase our services in the traditional manner - negotiate a fixed price, for example - or simply accept our open invitation to give to us what feels right to you.
What feels right to you might accord with the value that you see in the work we have done for you, or the value that you see in what our organisation does and how much you want to support our purpose.
How-to Pay What Feels Right:
- We discuss the scope of work;
- Those affected agree to participate;
- We give you our work;
- You evaluate our work;
- You give back to us the value that our work represents to you;
To be clear, 'Pay What Feels Right' does not mean free. We offer 'Pay What Feels Right' as an experiment. Over time we assess how well it works for everyone.
Discuss Pay What Feels Right, please contact us.
Our Traditional Rates
For work that requires higher levels of professional responsibility and risk - e.g. tier-1 project management, systems engineering and consulting - we charge US$500 per day per consultant.
We require all clients to agree to our Terms of Engagement before we start work.
Our Terms of Engagement
Ethos Power Associates Standard Terms of Engagement
- We usually send an estimate or quote that subsequently becomes the scope of services that we will deliver to your project. Work which falls outside that scope will be charged at an agreed hourly rate. We will advise you as soon as reasonably practicable if it becomes necessary for us to provide services outside the agreed scope and, if requested, give you an estimate of the likely amount of the further costs.
- Where our fees are calculated on an hourly basis, our basic hourly rate is US $130 and $500 US per day for offshore work. GST may not be applicable for offshore work.
- Fees for longer, fixed-term contracts are negotiable.
- If all parties that will be affected agree, we accept Pay What Feels Right.
- Disbursements and expenses: In providing services we may incur disbursements or have to make payments to third parties on your behalf. These will be included in our invoice to you when the expense is incurred. We may require an advance payment for the disbursements or expenses which we will be incurring on your behalf.
- Interest and Bank Charges:
- Any account which has not been paid by the due date for payment will incur interest at a rate equivalent to 2% above the rate charged by our bank on unarranged overdrafts from time to time;
- Where we are required to pay bank fees, charges or commissions because of the way you choose to pay your account (e.g. charges relating to credit cards; charges due to dishonoured cheques), you will reimburse us for those fees, charges and commissions.
By way of example, if you elect to pay your account by credit card and your credit card provider charges us (as merchant) a commission or other like charge, then you authorise us to debit your card with an amount equivalent to such charges, fees, or commissions.
- GST (if any): GST is payable by you on our fees and charges, unless the work we do for you is classed as 'exported' in which case NZ GST may or may not apply.
- Invoices: We will send interim invoices to you, usually monthly and on completion of the matter, or termination of our engagement. We may also send you an invoice when we incur a significant expense.
- Payment: Invoices are payable within seven (7) days of the date of the invoice. We can charge interest on any amount which is more than seven (7) days overdue. Interest will be calculated on any overdue sums as outlined in 1.3.1 above.
By accepting these terms and conditions you authorise us to deduct any fees and costs owed to me by you from funds we hold from time to time on your behalf
- Security: We may ask you to pre-pay amounts to us, or to provide security for our fees and expenses. You authorise us:
- To debit against amounts pre-paid by you; and
- To deduct from any funds held on your behalf in our account under trust any fees, expenses or disbursements for which we have provided an invoice.
- Third Parties: Although you may expect to be reimbursed by a third party for our fees and expenses, and although our invoices may at your request or with your approval be directed to a third party, nevertheless you remain responsible for payment to us if the third party fails to pay us.
- We will hold in confidence all information concerning you or your affairs that we acquire during the course of acting for you. We will not disclose any of this information to any other person except:
- To the extent necessary or desirable to enable us to carry out your instructions; or
- To the extent required by law.
- You may terminate our retainer at any time.
- We may terminate our retainer at any time.
- If our retainer is terminated you must pay us all fees due up to the date of termination and all expenses incurred up to that date.
- Retention of files and documents
- You authorise us (without further reference to you) to destroy all files and documents for this matter (other than any documents that we hold in safe custody for you) seven (7) years after our engagement ends, or earlier if we have converted those files and documents to an electronic format.
- Conflicts of Interest
- We have procedures in place to identify and respond to conflicts of interest. If a conflict of interest arises I will advise you of this and act to remove the conflict of interest.
- Duty of Care
- My duty of care is to you and not to any other person or organisation. Before any other person may rely on our advice, we must expressly agree to this.
- These Terms apply to any current engagement and also to any future engagement, whether or not we send you another copy of them.
- We are entitled to change these Terms from time to time, in which case we will send you amended Terms.
- Our relationship with you is governed by New Zealand law and New Zealand courts have non-exclusive jurisdiction.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance
We hold professional indemnity insurance. We will provide you with particulars upon request.
- Public Liability Insurance
We hold public liability insurance. We will provide you with the particulars upon request.
We maintain a procedure for handling any complaints by clients designed to ensure that a complaint is dealt with promptly and fairly. If you have a complaint about our services or charges, you may refer your complaint to us.
- Persons Responsible for the Work
- The names and status of the person or persons who will have the general carriage of, or overall responsibility for the services we provide for you, are set out in our Letter of Engagement.
- Client Care & Service.
We will endeavour to:
- Act competently, in a timely way, and in accordance with instructions received and arrangements made.
- Protect and promote your interests and act for you free from compromising influences or loyalties.
- Discuss with you your objectives, and how they should best be achieved.
- Provide you with information about the work to be done, who will do it, and the way the services will be provided.
- Charge you a fee that is fair and reasonable, and let you know how and when you will be billed.
- Give you clear information and advice.
- Protect your privacy and ensure appropriate confidentiality.
- Treat you fairly, respectfully, and without discrimination.
- Keep you informed about the work being done, and advise you when it is completed.
- Let you know how to make a complaint and deal with any complaint promptly and fairly.
A single contracting mistake can result in disproportionate loss. This course on negotiation is primarily intended for use in sales contract or project claim negotiations, but the general techniques described can also be used in other negotiation situations.
- Category: Project Management, Business Development, Soft-skills
- Difficulty: Advanced